UBE Biennale (International Sculpture Competition) is the nation’s first, large-scale outdoor sculpture exhibition launched in 1961 at the initiative of citizens in search for an improved post-war cityscape and richness of mind. Since its inception, the project played a significant role as the “experimental ground for outdoor sculptures and a gateway for young artists” and as the frontier of “urban revitalization through art.” Having Japan’s leading sculptors and art critics in the screening committee, today’s biennale grew to one of the oldest international outdoor sculpture competitions where artists from around forty countries and areas take part in.
15 Artists from Italy, Philippines, Taiwan and Japan will join to the 28th UBE Biennale and fabricate outdoor sculptures at the UBE Biennale Sculpture Hill in Tokiwa Park.
- Outdoor Sculptures
- Let’s smile together.(Chairs of the rainbow color)/ SHIGA Masao/Ibaragi, Japan
- KU・RA・GE・DＡ ZO-/ NAKATA Mamoru/Chiba, Japan
- DO NOT POP !/ John Dave CIELO/Philippines
- Symphony of curvature/ KATO Jun/ Hyogo, Japan
- STAR FISHERMAN/ Leonardo CUMBO/ Italy
- Dream Catcher/ HUANG Yu-Jung/ Taiwan
- Plantronica Ube/ OKADA Kentaro / Kanagawa, Japan
- the trace of wind/ Hidehiko/ Kagoshima, Japan
- Gravity Propulsion-Stone Boat/ SATO Yasuo/ Aichi, Japan
- Let’s dream with a pillow/ HIRATA Shigeru/ Mie, Japan
- In matter cycles/atmospheric circulation(Trinity)/ TODA Yusuke/ Saitama, Japan
- The Birth of Life/ MIYAKE Shiko/ Hyogo, Japan
- collecting view in the well/ SHIKATA Kenichi/ Tokyo, Japan
- Above the clouds/ SEKI Gentatsu/ Tokyo, Japan
- Origin 19-1/ TANABE Takeshi/ Yamaguchi, Japan
Check our various events during the28th UBE Biennale here: Tokiwa Park Website.
- Secondary Screening
Secondary Screening was held on 28th Sep.
Grand Prize and other 7 Winning works were announced on Ube City Website.
- Primary Screening
Adobe 15 plans were selected for full – size outdoor sculptures in the preliminary screening which was held on 30 Sep, 2018.
All sculptures will be installed in Tokiwa Park in Summer 2019.
25 plans were selected as Excellent plans. Sculpture models or drawings will be exhibited in Tokiwa Museum during UBE Biennale period.
- Sculpture Plan
- TÁNGARA/ Patricia CORREDOR/ Colombia
- Gate of Uhiverse-Contact with the Polaris Ⅶ/ FUJISHIMA Akinori/ Iwate, Japan
- That is easy to untied/ NAKAMURA Nodoka/ Osaka, Japan
- Time-Space pyramid/ KITAGAWA Taro/ Hyogo, Japan
- silent stone/ MAEHARA Yoshinobu/ Fukuoka, Japan
- EUPHORIA/ Zdravko ZDRAVKOV/ Bulgaria
- PRANA (pràna:the sanskrit word for “life force”)/ Diva NAYAKA/ Indonesia
- Tears of the Earth/ DOI Koji/ Ishikawa, Japan
- No english title/ MURAKAMI Shoichi/ Fukuoka, Japan
- Inevitable form/ ABE Hiromasa/ Chiba, Japan
- The seed of abundance/ Surachai DONPRASRI/ Thailand
- JI/ OGAWA Tetsuya/ Fukuoka, Japan
- No english title/ TAKAHASHI Masayuki/ Chiba, Japan
- The Road to Hope Ⅴ/ Who/ Kanagawa, Japan
- Sitting chair/ ITO Takeshi/ Kanagawa, Japan
- filled/ UEDA Kai/ Yamanashi, Japan
- Life/ LEE Bongyu/ Korea
- Last King of Unicorns/ Krasimir METODIEV/ Bulgaria
- a small building for UBE/ IWAMOTO Sayo/ Tokyo, Japan
- 384400/ NISHIWAKI Hiroshi/ Aichi, Japan
- It’s HERE/ ASANO Yoshihiko/ Tokyo, Japan
- Big turnip/ MORONUKI Kiyoe/ Tokyo, Japan
- Drops of the Sun/ ASANO Hiroyuki/ Tokyo, Japan
- Planet Vehicle/ ISHIGAMI Kazuhiro/ Shizuoka, Japan
- Cocoon and silkworm moth-ｌyearn in the pｌace by the silkworm egg introduction/ SHIGAHARA Yoshikazu/ Kyoto, Japan
From September 29 until November 24 2019
- UBE Biennale Sculpture Hill in Tokiwa Park
- 3-4-29 Nonaka Ube City Yamaguchi Pref. Japan
- Organized by Ube City, UBE Biennale Committee, Mainichi News Papers
- Sponsored by Ube Industries, Ltd.
- Supported by The Agency for Cultural Affairs Government of Japan in the fiscal 2018, 2019
- Supported by The Kao Foundation for Arts and Sciences