第30回UBEビエンナーレ Entry from overseas
Organized by Ube City, UBE Biennale Committee, Mainichi Newspapers
Sponsored by UBE Corporation
Supported by the Agency for Cultural Affairs, Project for the Creation of Cultural & Art Hub 2023
- Submission Guidelines (English)
- Directrices para la presentación (Spanish)
- 作品征集简要 (Chinese)
- 공모요강 (Korean)
UBE Biennale (International Sculpture Competition) is the nation’s first, large-scale outdoorsculpture exhibition launched in 1961 at the initiative of citizens in search for an improved post-war cityscape and richness of mind. Since its inception, the project played a significant role as the frontier of “urban revitalization through art.” For the 30th exhibition, 15 full-scale works and 30 models of the winning works will be on display, followed by the permanent installation of winning works of Grand Prize and UBE Corporation Prize in public spaces across the city. The City of Ube is very much looking forward to your ambitious works.
- Application Period
- From 9am on Thursday, June 1, 2023 to 5pm on Sunday, September 10, 2023
- Carrying- in of work models
- From Friday, September 15, 2023 to Sunday, September 17, 2023
- Preliminary Screening (Screening of work models)
- Saturday, September 23, 2023 Secondary Screening (Screening of sculptures): Saturday, October 26, 2024
The competition is open to all individuals and groups, and amateurs and professionals for all types of sculptures. Each applicant can only submit one work.
A) Entries must be original works, which have not been exhibited to the public elsewhere.
B) Maximum size of the actual work is 900cm (Total dimension of height +width +depth, including pedestal should be less than 900cm). Maximum weight of the actual work is 10-ton. The actual work must be able to be transported with a 10ton truck without the special right of passage.
C) The sculpture should take into consideration the safety of the viewers. The materials and the structure must be suitable for an outdoor environment, be able to withstand wind pressure and earthquakes and be safe to touch. Works that need frequent repairs or maintenance are not desirable.
D) The work should not infringe upon the rights of third parties.
E) Works that do not meet the above terms will not be presented to the judges.
Schedule of UBE Biennale
Preliminary Screening (2023): See pages 2 – 4 of the Guideline
1. Payment of Entry Fee and shipping fee, online application (Deadline: 5pm JST Sep. 10)
2. Carrying- in of work models (Sep. 15 – 17)
3. Preliminary Screening (Screening of work models) (Sep. 23)
4. Models Exhibition (Sep. 24 to Oct. 22)
Secondary Screening (2024): See pages 6 – 8 of the Guideline
1. Submission of Work Descriptions (Deadline: Dec. 1, 2023)
2. Delivery and installation (Sep. 9 – 27, 2024)
3. Secondary Screening (screening of full-scale works), Award Ceremony (Oct. 26)
4. Opening Ceremony & Opening of Open-air Sculpture Exhibition (Oct. 27 – Dec. 22)
SAKAI Tadayasu (Chairperson) – Art Critic, Director of Setagaya Art Museum
MIZUSAWA Tsutomu – Art Critic, Director of the Museum of Modern Art, Kamakura & Hayama
UEMATSU Keiji – Sculptor
KAWAGUCHI Tatsuo – Contemporary Artist, Emeritus Professor, University of Tsukuba,Institute of Art and Design
KONO Michitaka – Deputy Director of Yamaguchi Prefectural Art Museum
FUDO Misato – Director of Himeji City Museum of Art
NONAKA Akira – Deputy Director of Hiroshima City Museum of Contemporary Art
FUJIWARA Teppei – Architect, Associate Professor, Yokohama Graduate School of Architecture
HINUMA Teiko – Professor, Joshibi University of Art and Design
TAKAHASHI Sakiko – Editor of Arts and Cultural News Department, Tokyo Headquarter of Mainichi Newspapers
FUJIWARA Teppei – Architect, Associate Professor of Yokohama Graduate School of Architecture
Ube City Prize (Grand Prize) ¥ 5,000,000(Sculpture Purchase and Model Purchase Prize)
UBE Corporation Prize ¥ 4,000,000(Sculpture Purchase and Model Purchase Prize)
Mainichi Newspapers Prize ¥ 1,000,000 (Model Purchase Prize)
Yamaguchi Bank Prize ¥1,000,000
Ube Chamber of Commerce and Industry Prize ¥500,000
Shimane Yoshika Town Prize ¥200,000
Yamaguchi Prefectural Art Museum Prize ¥200,000
Iwami Art Museum Prize ¥200,000
Yanagihara Yoshitatsu Prize ¥1,500,000(Model Purchase Prize)
Ube Citizens Prize ¥500,000(Model Purchase Prize)
For the winning works of Grand Prize and UBE Corporation Prize, the city will purchase the full-scale works and work models, and for Mainichi Newspapers Prize, Yanagihara Yoshitatsu Prize, and Ube Citizens Prize, the city will purchase the work models, all of which then becomes the properties of Ube City.
For Yanagihara Yoshitatsu Prize, it will be awarded to a suitable work for Yanagihara Yoshitatsu.
Ube Citizens Prize will be determined by visitors’ vote during the final exhibition. If the winning work of the Grand Prize also wins Ube Citizens Prize, only the award title will be granted without the cash award.
The details and amounts of the prizes are subject to change.
(1)Payment (remittance) of Entry Fee and Shipping Fee
- Entry Fee
- Entry from Japan: 10,000 yen
- Entry from overseas: Free
- Entry from Students: Free
- *Applicants must request for exemption at online application
- Return Shipping Fee
- Within Japan (work model): 3,000 yen (including cost for packing)
- Within Japan (photographs of work model): 1,000 yen (including cost for packing)
- *No payment of shipping fee is required if you do not wish the model to be returned.
- Overseas shipping fee: No return to overseas
- Swift code
- Bank code
- Branch code
- Account number
- ordinary account 6374281
- Corporate principal
- NAKASO Toshifumi
- Corporate name
- UBE Biennale Secretariat
- Name of the bank
- THE YAMAGUCHI BANK, Ltd. Ube branch
- Address of the bank
- 1-1-11, Shintencho, Ube City, Yamaguchi Pref., 7550029, JAPAN
Applicants must cover the bank charge.
The Entry Fee and shipping fee, once paid in, are not refundable even when the work wins the competition.
Please note that the application shall be void if the paid-in amount is insufficient.
(2) Online Application (Deadline: 5pm JST Sep. 10)
Please fill the entry form found at UBE Biennale Official Website.
Upon the completion of the online entry, you will receive the “Entry Number” via email.
*No amendment is allowed for the entered information once submitted.
(3) Delivery of Work Models
The Preliminary Screening will be either made on the work models or photographs of the work models. Please deliver the item to UBE Biennale Secretariat.
- Items to be delivered
- work model of outdoor sculpture
Please submit your work model either by Method (A) or (B) below
(A) Work model: Approx. 1/10 model (aggregation of three dimensions must not exceed 90cm) of the full-scale work.
- Please make sure to indicate the Entry Number on the bottom of the model.
(B) Photographs of work model: Printouts of three photographs (taken from front and two other sides of your choice) of the model, each printed on A3 paper. We accept both vertical and horizontal images.
JIS A3 paper size <297mm x 420 mm>
Do not frame the photographs.
Indicate the Entry Number on the backside of the photographs.
If there is a description to accompany the work, summarize it in single A3 sheet, indicate the Entry Number on the backside, and send it together with the model/photographs. The jury will use it as a reference at screening.
We do not accept submission of images and description in electronic media, such as USB, CD-R, DVD, etc.
Do not frame the photographs.
Do not enter your name or any other information identifying you on the surface of submitted materials.
- Delivery Method
- Please submit the work model either by “direct carry-in” by the applicant or “delivery courier” to UBE Biennale Secretariat. Clearly indicate your Entry Number on the box or envelop and an image showing the work’s sides (top, bottom, and front).
- Please make sure to submit the model in a box or envelop for storage and return shipment.
*We cannot use courier for return shipment if the model is packed inappropriately.
- The Secretariat will not be held responsible for any damage on the model found at the time of delivery.
- The Secretariat will handle submitted models with utmost care from their receipt until return shipment but will not be held responsible for any damage due to structural or material characteristics of the model or force majeure.
- Place of Delivery
- UBE Biennale Secretariat
Tokiwa Kosui Hall, Tokiwa Park, 254, Okiube, Oaza, Ube City, Yamaguchi Pref., 7550001, Japan Tel. +81-836-34-8562 (Weekdays: 9am – 5pm)
*Applicants are responsible for all delivery costs.
- Period of Delivery
- Friday, September 15, 2023 – Sunday, September 17, 2023 10am to 4pm
*The Secretariat will not be held responsible for receipt and storage outside the above timeframe.
(4) Work Model Pickup
All works, except for the works passing the Preliminary Screening, must be collected by applicants in the following manner. You cannot collect them during the Models Exhibition.
- Direct Pickup (by Applicant)
- Period: 3pm – 5pm, Sunday, October 22, 2023, 10am – 4pm, Monday, October 23, 2023 and Tuesday, October 24, 2023
The place of pickup is the same as the place of delivery.
- Pickup by Courier
- Period: The Secretariat will send them out after Friday, October 27, 2023.
* Up to 100,000 yen will be applied to all models as insurance coverage.
If the insurance is required, we will process the insurance claim based on the replacement price.
The following content is a disclaimer:
- Damage caused by natural disasters such as wind and flood damage, earthquakes, and lightning strikes.
- Damage caused by defects in the work itself.
- Minor scratches, dents, etc. that occur on the work when there is no abnormality in the outer packaging.
- Other damages not attributable to the contractor, damages due to force majeure
(vibrations that may occur during transportation, etc.
- Damage to the work due to improper packing by the applicant.
- The Secretariat refuses to send the model by courier if the model has a structure not suitable for transport.
- Damage on the model during delivery must be notified to the Courier Service within 14 days upon delivery.
[Courier Service for Delivery & Pickup]
Nippon Express Shimonoseki Branch, Hofu Branch, General Logistics Section 9-39 Eki-minami machi, Hofu City, Yamaguchi, Japan 747-0801
(As of April, 2023)
Note: The Secretariat disposes work models not requested for return or is opted for direct pickup but is not collected within the designated period.
The screening results will be published on UBE Biennale Official Website and on The Mainichi Newspaper. Applicants who passed the screening will also receive a written notice on a later date.
- Judging day
- Saturday, September 23, 2023
*The selection process will be open to the public.
- 30 pieces will be selected as models to be accepted.
- 15 pieces will be selected from among the 30 models as works for full size production.
- Saturday, September 23, 2023
- The selected 30 pieces will be kept at the secretariat’s office until the end of the 30th UBE Biennale and used for planned exhibitions or education activities. After that, the secretariat will return the models of each artist.
- Models Exhibition
- All submitted works will be exhibited.
The 30th UBE Biennale – Models Exhibition
- Sunday, September 24 – Sunday, October 22, 2023
10am-5pm (Last day 3pm) *Closed on Tuesdays
- Tokiwa Kosui Hall
Tokiwa Park, 254, Okiube, Oaza, Ube City, Yamaguchi Pref., Japan
Production of Full-scale Sculpture
If your work is designated for the full-scale production, you will be asked to produce the work in accordance with the following steps and deliver it to the exhibition venue during the Period of Delivery.
If you have submitted the photographs of the work model, please send the actual model to the Secretariat by Thursday, February 29, 2024. However, overseas applicants do not need to submit the actual model.
Please let us know if you need to refer to the submitted actual model when producing the full-scale work.
(1) Production Procedure
- Delivery of relevant documents: The Secretariat will send you the Notice of Designation for Full-scale Production, together with Work Descriptions.
- Submission of Work Descriptions: Please fill in the Work Descriptions and send it back to the Secretariat by Friday, December 1, 2023.
- Consultations: The Secretariat will consult with you about delivery, installation, structure, etc. based on the submitted Work Descriptions.
- Progress Report: The Secretariat will check with you on the work progress. We will also ask you for your cooperation in providing us with necessary materials, as we publish the production processes as part of our promotion project.
When a structural problem is identified in the work, we will ask you to rectify the problem upon consultation.
If the produced work is significantly different from the submitted work model, the work may be excluded from the Secondary Screening.
(2) Delivery & Installation
- Period of Delivery
- Monday, September 9 – Friday, September 27, 2024
* Except for Saturday, Sunday & Public Holiday
- The applicant will cover the cost for concrete, steel, and fixing tools (anchors, bolts, etc.). Other foundational works (wooden, etc.) will be covered by the Secretariat.
- Place of Installation
- To be determined by the Positioning Committee.
- Period of Installation
- From delivery & installation to Sunday, November 30, 2025
The work will be on display after the exhibition closure.
(3) Subsidy Payment
Applicants will be granted 2,000,000 yen as subsidy to cover the production cost, the installation cost, the travel expenses, and the sojourn expenses. The 7 amount will be paid in two installments before and after the production.
– Before production, at the end of November, 2023 : 1,000,000yen.
– After production, at the end of December, 2024 : 1,000,000yen.
*If, for any reason, the artist fails to exhibit work, the grant must be promptly returned. If the completed work is judged unsafe structurally, the grant must be promptly returned.
- Removal Period
- Monday, December 1, 2025 – Friday, February 27, 2026
The Secretariat will cover the cost for the return of the work within the designated period only. The Secretariat will not be held responsible, however, for any cost or other liability for removal outside the designated period unless there is an unavoidable reason, such as delivery to a cold region where transport in winter is extremely difficult.
The maximum coverage of the transportation insurance will be 2,000,000 yen.
The costs for packing special transport cost (exceeding normal transportation costs using one 10-ton truck), will be covered by the applicant.
If you send back your work to overseas, the transportation cost to the port of departure in Japan will be covered by the secretariat.
The screening results will be published on UBE Biennale Official Website and on The Mainichi Newspaper. Applicants who won the prizes will also receive a written notice on a later date.
- Judging day
- Saturday, October 26, 2024
- Award Ceremony
Saturday, October 26, 2024 6pm – 8pm
To be announced.
*Attendees need to pay for the cost of transportation and accommodation.
- 15 sculptures and 30 selected models will be exhibited.
The 30th UBE Biennale
Sunday, October 27 – Sunday, December 22, 2024 9am-5pm Open every day during the exhibition
*Tokiwa Park facilities are closed on Tuesdays
Venue: UBE Biennale Sculpture Hill in Tokiwa park
UBE Tokiwa Museum, 3-4-29, Nonaka, Ube City, Yamaguchi Pref., Japan
A) The organizer reserves the right to display and use images of the works for educational and publicity purposes and reserves the right to produce and sell goods (for example postcards) using images of the works.
B) General Photography of both the models and full size works during the exhibition is permitted (for non-profit and personal use only).
C) Positioning of purchase prize winning sculptures in town in Ube City is determined by the positioning committee. They will be repaired, relocated or removed when necessary.
D) The secretariat will use personal information for its own purpose only. The secretariat may announce the name, country or city of residence, and the age of the winners.
E) The Secretariat will look after the works on display with utmost care during the exhibition period of the full-scale works (i.e. for the duration of the final exhibition and display after the exhibition) but will not be held responsible for damage caused by natural disasters or other force majeure.
F) Any matters unspecified in above rules will be discussed, when necessary, and determined by the secretariat.
UBE Biennale Secretariat (Ube City Culture Promotion Division) 1-7-1, Tokiwa Cho, Ube City, Yamaguchi Pref., 7558601, Japan
9am-5pm（except weekends and holidays）
- 第30回UBEビエンナーレ Entry from overseas